Entry Regulations For Staying In China
After entry into China, foreigners shall complete accommodation registration procedures in accordance with Chinese laws and regulations.
- When lodging at a hotel, register with the hotel in accordance with the public security administration regulations for hotels;
- To lodge at a place other than hotel, the lodger or his/her agent shall report to the local police station within 24 hours of arrival (72 hours in rural areas) with the lodger’s entry certificate, copies of its picture page, present visa page, last entry stamp page, as well as 4 one-inch full-faced recent pictures and complete a registration form of temporary residence, a copy of which should be stamped an official seal and kept by the lodger for future application purposes or possible police inspection;
- Foreigners holding a residence permit who wish to lodge elsewhere than their own residence shall report and register accommodation in accordance with the above rules.
Types of visas in China
There are 3 main types of visa categories for China.
- “L” Class Visa (Tourism Visa): Used for single “Tourism” Trips into china, they usually only last 1 or 3 months with a single or limited multiple-entry into mainland China. People holding these visas are not allowed to work or conduct business inside of China whilst traveling on this visa.
- “F” Class Visa (Business Visa): Used for conducting Business in China, business is defined by an act of providing a service or product in which remuneration is not received in China. These visas are usually issued for 3-6-12 Months with limited multiple or unlimited multiple entry with a set stay limit of 14-30-60-90-120 day stays (the visa holder must exit after the set about of days stated as maximum stay on the visa they are holding).
- “Z” Class Visa: Used when an applicant has been sponsored by a legitimate Chinese company. These are very hard to obtain as there is a lot of paperwork. However they are very necessary if you are being remunerated inside of China. These usually have to be renewed every year with a new contract from the employer.
Special Visa available at border crossings
“Special Economic Zone Visas” are available for certain passport holder at border crossings such as Louhu. These are short stay (usually 3-5 days) single entry where you exit via the same port as entry, special zone only visas.
China Visas F, L , G, C, J-2
Foreigners holding visas F, L , G, C, J-2 may stay in China within the validity of the visa. If you need to prolong your stay here in China, please go to the Entry–Exit Administration Department of Shenzhen Municipal Public Security Bureau to apply for a visa extension.
China Z, X, J and J-1 Visas
Foreigners holding visas Z, X, J-1 shall, within 30 days of entry into China, obtain residence permit from the Entry–Exit Administration Department of Shenzhen Municipal Public Security Bureau. Foreigners who wish to work or study in Nanshan District shall first apply to Nanshan Public Security Branch and acquire residence qualification before applying to the Municipal Bureau for the residence permit. Foreigners holding valid residence permit can exit and enter China without applying for a visa.
Important to know
Don’t overstay your visa In China
Visitors/workers who illegally stay in China may be served a warning, or fined 500─5,000 yuan, or detained 3─10 days, and may be ordered to leave China.
Don’t Work Illegally In Shenzhen
Visitors engaged in illegal employment may be fined up to 1,000 yuan and may be ordered to leave China.
Don’t employ illegal workers in Shenzhen
Those who employ people without permission may be fined 5,000─50,000 yuan and ordered to cover repatriation expenses.
Renewing your work visa in Shenzhen
To renew your work visa in China, you will also need to extend your foreign expert certificate. First you need to take care of your expert certificate. For this you need special photos with bar-code (at least in Shenzhen). Photo shops will know what you need. You also need to show your employment contract. For the visa itself, you need to show your expert certificate obviously, again photos with bar-code, an application form and 800 RMB. This year you don’t need to submit the application in person anymore, though last year it was required to do so. In short:
Provide the following documents to extend your visa:
Foreign Expert Certificate Extension
- Online form application
- Pictures X4 with bar-code
- Employment contract (original & copy)
- Passport (original, copies of visa & front page)
- Renewed Foreign Expert Certificate
- Pictures X4 with bar-code
- Passport (original)
- Application form (.doc)
- RMB800 in cash
Penalties working in China without permission
Employers should handle all the formalities related to working in China (Foreign Expert Certificate + Work Visa), but often we hear stories about people who work in China without the right paperwork. We don’t advice it; it’s much safer to register and go through the paperwork.
So what are the penalties if you don’t do it? The document “Rules Governing the implementation of the law of the People’s Republic Of China on the Entry and Exit of Aliens” lists the following rules:
Chapter VII – Penalties
- Article 40 Aliens who illegally enter or exit China may be fined from 1000 to 10000 Yuan(RMB)or detained from 3 to 10 days and may simultaneously be ordered to leave the country within a specified time or expelled from the country.Those whose offences are serious enough to constitute a crime shall be prosecuted for criminal responsibility according to law.
- Article 42 Aliens who illegally stay in China in contravention of the provisions of Articles 16,19 and 20 of the present Rules may be served a warning,fined 500 Yuan per day for the period of his/her illegal stay in China with the total sum of fine not exceeding 5000 Yuan,or detained from 3 to 10 days.Those whose offences are serious may at the same time be ordered to leave the country within a specified time.
- Aliens who violate Article 21 and 22 of the present Rules may be served a warning,or fined up to 500 Yuan.and those whose of fences are serious may at the same time be ordered to leave the country within a specified time.
- Aliens who violate Article 23 Of the present Rules and fail to carry out the decision of the public security organs may, while being compelled to carry out the decision,be served a warning or fined from 1000 to 10000 Yuan.Those whose offenses are serious shall be ordered to leave the country within a specified time.
- Article 43 Aliens who,in contravention of the provisions of Articles 24 and 25 of the present Rules,fail to submit their residence certificates for examination as required or to carry their passports or residence certificates with them or refuse to produce their certificates to police for examination may be served a warning or fined up to 500 Yuan,and those whose offences are serious may at the same time be ordered to leave the country within a specified time.
- Article 44 Aliens who found employment without permission from the Ministry Labor of the People’s Republic of China or its authorized departments shall have their posts or employment terminated and may at the same time be fined up to 1000 Yuan,and those whose offenses are serious may at the same time be ordered to leave the country within a specified time. Units and individuals who employ aliens without permission shall terminate employment of the said aliens and may at the same time be fined from 5000 to 50000 Yuan,and be ordered to cover all the expenses of repatriating aliens whom they had employed.
- Article 45 Whoever is held responsible for failing to register accommodation or report such registration to the public security organ,or for accommodating aliens without valid certificates in contravention Of the provisions Of Chapter IV of the present Rules may be served a warning or fined from 50 to 500 Yuan.
- Article 46 Aliens who travel to areas closed to aliens without prior permission in contravention of the provisions of Articles 34,and 37 of the present Rules may be served a warning or fined up to 500 Yuan,and those whose offenses are serious may at the same time be ordered to leave the country within a specified time.
- Article 47 Aliens who forge,alter,misuse,transfer,buy or sell visas or certificate shall have the said visas, certificates and illicit income revoked or confiscated and may be fined from 1000 to 10000 Yuan or detained from 3 to 10 days, and may at the same time be ordered to leave the country within a specified time, and those who’s offenses are serious enough to constitute a crime shall be prosecuted for their criminal responsibility according to law.